On January 7th, hip-hop artist Trip Lee will be performing in concert at Covenant Life Church. We originally had a five15 meeting scheduled for that day and a social activity scheduled for January 14th. To enable attendance at the concert, we are swapping the social activity date (now January 7th for the concert) and the five15 date (now January 14th). Please note the calendar change!
Before you're tempted to think, "I don't like rap music" and "Why would I want to drive to Gaithersburg?" let me challenge you with seven reasons to consider going, in acrostic form:
- T - Travel Time - driving somewhere with someone is one of the best ways to build relationship. It sounds crazy, but it's true. You'll have about 90 minutes (total roundtrip) of relationship-building time. Find someone to ride with.
- R - Rap Music about Christ - Trip Lee's lyrics are Christ-exalting.
- I - Interstate Connections - the youth ministry at Covenant Life is hosting this. I love getting five15 around teens from other churches.
- P - Pizza. Better yet -- free pizza. Come to our church basement at 5:00 pm for free pizza.
- L - Luke is going (ok, maybe that's not a good reason).
- E - Evangelism - this is one of the easiest things you could invite an unchurched friend to. There's free pizza, the music is great, they will hear the good news about Jesus Christ, and they can be connected with a part of the local church community.
- E - Everyone Together - my hope isn't that a bunch of five15ers will show up at the concert. My hope is that we can do this together. That's why we're meeting for pizza before and why I'm encouraging you to find someone to ride with. Let's do this together.
Please notice that I saved the best for last. Of these seven items, I hope that the two E's (evangelism and everyone together) are the most pronounced in your mind.
For those interested in going, here are all the details:
- Saturday, January 7th
- 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm - pizza in the church basement
- 7:00 pm - concert starts at Covenant Life Church
- Tickets are $7 and can be purchased online now or at the door on January 7th.
- Pizza - to help ensure there is enough pizza for everyone, please let us know you are coming by signing-up here.
- Rides - You are responsible for your own ride. Parents, please ensure that your teen(s) has a ride lined-up and are aware of your guidelines regarding who to ride with before you drop them off at the building. Also, please consider being a driver and finding people to fill your car with. five15 is not organizing carpooling, but is heavily encouraging that you set-up someone to ride with you or for you to ride with to and from Gaithersburg.
If you have any questions, please contact Katherine Sawyer in the church office.
Here are a couple of videos to get you started.
Gospel-Centered Hip Hop from The Gospel Coalition on Vimeo.
[You can read the lyrics to this song here.]
For more info on Trip Lee, visit the following links:
- Concert info
- Official website (bio, blog, music samples (I recommend listening to "Invasion" and checking out the music video, as well)):
- Interview with Trip Lee (text)
- Another interview (video with Justin Taylor, blogger and VP at Crossway, and Lecrae, another hip-hop artist)
Oh, by the way, did I mention that the first three people to leave a comment on this blog post will get a free album? Well, now I did.
Mon, December 26, 2011
by Luke Middleton filed under